DOWNLOAD A PRINTABLE READING AND PRAYER GUIDE:
HOW TO READ THE BIBLE
- Respect the Bible as the Word of God. We are not the judges of the Bible, and no other books or human wisdom share the same authority over our lives. Never forget that it is God who is speaking to you through His Word (Psalm 18:30; 119:80).
- Submit your heart and life fully to the Word of God. We should read God's Word ready to receive the message and make any changes or decisions that the Holy Spirit places on our heart (2 Timothy 3:16).
- Prayer about what you read in the Bible. Speak to God in prayer as you allow His Word to speak to you. Ask God for wisdom, understanding, and for guidance in applying His Word to your life (Joshua 1:8).
- Talk with others about what you read in the Bible. God's Word was meant to be shared and discussed with others. As we develop better habits of prayer and Bible reading, we need to make sure that we do not neglect "the assembly of believers" (Hebrews 10:25).
- Put God's Word into practice. We are not meant to merely be hearers (or readers) of God's Word, but also doers who act on God's Word (James 1:25).